Wednesday 14 March 2012

March WeBS count

I did the BTO WeBS count of my bit of the River Aire today. A few days after the core count date (Sunday 11th March), but that isn’t a problem. I won’t waffle on. Here’s the list:

84 Mallard (56 male/28 female)
7 Goosander (3 male/4 female)
2 Grey Wagtail
12 Black-headed Gull
Common Gull
Greylag Goose
Canada Goose
2 Mute Swan
2 Moorhen

The non-WeBS species I picked before or during the water bird count were arguably more interesting:

Treecreeper
Nuthatch
2 Goldcrest
Great Spotted Woodpecker
3 Jay
Carrion Crow
3 Mistle Thrush
7 Blackbird
8 Robin
3 Wren
12 Blue Tit
2 Coal Tit
4 Long-tailed Tit
34 Wood Pigeon
Chaffinch
Lapwing
Stock Dove
…and - and - a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker calling in the area. More about this on another post that I’ll write another day.

Probably the most interesting thing was the dead stuff I found...

 Mallard, Shipley, West Yorkshire - Wednesday 14th March 2012 
 
Common Carp, Hirst Lock, Leeds-Liverpool Canal, Shipley, West Yorkshire
- Wednesday 14th March 2012

 

No comments:

Post a Comment